Dental Implants in Grapevine TX
Few problems create more stress for dental patients than dental extractions and tooth loss. Fortunately, modern dentistry offers many more options to replace missing teeth than it used to, making eating, laughing, and smiling confidently completely attainable, even when you have tooth loss.
Dr. Michael Colangelo offers dental implants as one of the most convenient and beneficial tooth replacement options in our Grapevine, TX dental office.
- What are dental implants?
- Why should I replace my missing tooth
- What is the best way to replace a single missing tooth?
- How can I replace multiple missing teeth?
- What are the benefits of dental implants?
- What can I expect with dental implant treatment?
- Are dental implants a good choice for me?
- Is it painful to get a dental implant?
- Will dental implants improve my appearance?
- How do I care for my dental implants?
What are dental implants?
Dental implants are a fixed, proven treatment for missing teeth that mimic your natural tooth roots. In the procedure, Dr. Colangelo surgically places a permanent titanium post in the jawbone where the tooth is missing. As the area heals, the biocompatible material of the post bonds with your own jawbone, creating a strong foundation.
After a few months, you’ll return to our Grapevine, TX dental office so we can place a dental crown on the dental implant abutment and complete the restoration. Your tooth will function and look just like a natural tooth and can last a lifetime.
Dental implants promote bone growth, prevent other teeth from shifting, and provide a natural-looking, long-term solution for missing teeth. That’s why dental implants are so popular for replacing a single tooth or working together with dentures to replace multiple teeth.
Why should I replace my missing tooth?
If you have one or more missing teeth, you may be self-conscious about smiling, laughing, or speaking. A missing tooth can prevent you from looking your true age, because the empty space can cause facial hollowing. Some people even feel that there’s a social stigma connected to missing teeth, which can contribute to stress and lower self-confidence.
Missing teeth are more than a cosmetic issue, however. The jawbone reabsorbs bone where a tooth is missing, causing bone loss and gum shrinkage. Other teeth, without the support of the adjacent tooth, shift into the space and can become misaligned and weakened, possibly leading to tooth decay.
Replacing a missing tooth is always a good idea, and Dr. Michael Colangelo at Grapevine Dental can help determine if you’re a good candidate for dental implants. Call our office at (817) 612-3603 to schedule a consultation with Dr. Colangelo.
What is the best way to replace a single missing tooth?
If your Grapevine, TX dentist recommends dental implants to replace a missing tooth, you may wonder if that treatment is necessary. After all, partial dentures and dental bridges have been around for years and are less expensive than dental implants.
But if you’re looking for a highly successful, long-term solution for your missing tooth that looks and feels natural, then dental implants may be best for you.
With a dental implant, there’s no need to care for a removable appliance and replace it every few years. Partial dentures may also shift when eating or speaking. Dental bridges do not move, but the adjacent teeth may need to be altered in order to provide dental crowns on either side.
How can I replace multiple missing teeth?
Although dentures used to be the only solution for replacing multiple teeth, dental implants now play an important role. Dr. Michael Colangelo’s expertise in dental implants and attention to your comfort ensures you will have the best treatment available. Here’s how:
- Implant-retained dentures. Using four to six strategically placed dental implants, we can give you an exceptionally stable denture that locks into place.
- Full-implant dentures. Dental implants can support full dentures on the lower or upper jaw if enough healthy bone exists for the treatment. No more shifting dentures when you eat or speak!
What are the benefits of dental implants?
Losing teeth creates so many problems with the simplest things in life – eating your favorite foods and smiling freely among them. A life filled with soft foods does not appeal to most people, and dental implants offer a solution that does not create dietary restrictions. Here are just a few benefits you’ll enjoy when your Grapevine, TX dentist places your dental implant:
- Dental implants are stable, highly aesthetic, and reliable. Dental implants can last for years with the proper care and maintenance. They can even last a lifetime with minimal maintenance, as long as you maintain your oral health.
- Unlike dentures, dental implants will not move or shift when you eat, laugh, or yawn, so you can avoid many of the embarrassing social situations that feel awkward or may even keep you from spending priceless time with family and friends.
- Dental implants provide health and cosmetic benefits that other tooth-replacement options do not. For example, dental implants help retain the bone that will typically deteriorate in the areas where tooth loss has occurred.
- Dental implants also stabilize your bite by preventing your remaining teeth from shifting toward the gap left by a missing tooth.
- Cosmetic benefits include the natural appearance of your dental implant crown and the assurance that your dental implant will match your surrounding teeth.
What can I expect with dental implant treatment?
Understanding the different parts of a dental implant help explain how Grapevine Dental ensures successful dental implant treatment:
Dental implant post – This small post will be surgically implanted into your natural bone. It mimics your natural tooth’s root structure and performs the same function by creating stability and bone regeneration. Over several months, it will actually integrate with your jawbone.
Implant abutment – Your abutment sits atop your dental implant post, providing a base for your custom dental implant crown. Once the healing phase is complete, Dr. Colangelo will place the abutment and take impressions for your implant crown.
Implant crown – This is the part of your dental implant that others will see. It will look like your natural teeth in both shape and color so that it blends in perfectly with your smile.
Are dental implants a good choice for me?
If you have one or more missing teeth and generally healthy gums, you may be a good candidate for dental implants. Just as with any surgical procedure, you need to be in good overall health.
To find out if you’re a good candidate, call our Grapevine, TX dental office at (817) 612-3603 to schedule a dental implant consultation. Dr. Michael Colangelo is passionate about providing a caring, stress-free environment and will answer all your questions and concerns.
Is it painful to get a dental implant?
Although everyone has a unique experience, most patients at our Grapevine dental office are surprised by how quick and painless the dental implant procedure is. Dr. Colangelo will use local anesthesia to numb the area thoroughly and you won’t feel a thing during the procedure.
When the anesthesia wears off, you may feel a little gum soreness, which you can manage with ibuprofen. You’ll want to use care when brushing around the area for a few days as well.
Will dental implants improve my appearance?
If you’ve had one or more missing teeth for awhile, you may have noticed changes in your face over time. As the bone in the area begins to deteriorate without the stimulation of chewing and flowing nutrients, the face can become sunken-looking or hollow.
Dental implants stimulate bone growth and add lost height back into your face, making you look your age, rather than older. If the gaps in your teeth are visible, replacing missing teeth can result in more youthful, healthy appearance.
Schedule an appointment with our expert dentist to learn how you can regain a more youthful appearance and better oral health.
How do I care for my dental implants?
Dental implants require the same basic care as your natural teeth. Your gums must remain healthy, because periodontal disease can lead to dental implant failure. Good home care, including brushing your teeth and the dental implant as well as flossing, is essential. Regular dental cleanings and exams will further protect your investment.